By Terez Howard
Thin hair can be the result of several factors. Stress, bad habits, an unclean environment, an improper diet or the use of chemicals can make naturally thick hair turn thin and fine. Of course, some naturals have fine hair as a result of genetics. If you always have had fine hair, natural hair thickening remedies are not going to magically give you thick, lustrous hair.
Natural hair thickening remedies help your hair to reach its peak health. If you have damaged, dry hair, these kinds of hair treatments will thicken your hair back to its natural state. But do not expect your natural hair texture to alter. Remedies for getting thick hair will only help your hair to be its best.
So, don’t buy into a high cost hair thickening products when your own kitchen has the ingredients you need to remedy thin hair. You can make a natural conditioner with aloe vera or experiment with oat flour. These natural hair thickening remedies can cost much less and have great results.
4 Natural Hair Thickening Remedies
1. Oat flour – Oat flour can be a good hair conditioner. The lipids in oat flour can help to create thickness and luster.
- 2 tablespoons oat flour
- Your choice of conditioner
- Combine ingredients.
- Massage into hair and scalp.
- Rinse thoroughly.
2. Henna – Known as a natural hair dye, henna can be used as a hair thickening remedy. Working as a conditioner, it will also make your natural hair shine and smooth. You can do a henna treatment every 3 to 4 weeks.
Depending on the starting shade of your hair and the color you want to achieve, the ingredients you add to your henna varies. Basically, you want to mix henna powder with acidic liquids, like vinegar, lemon or lime juice, to change the color. If you don’t want much color but still want to get some of henna’s thickening benefits, add an egg to the mixture and leave the mixture in your hair for about one hour.
Henna takes quite a while, anywhere from 2 to 12 hours, to dye natural hair. So, the less time you leave it on, the less likely you will notice a difference in color.
3. Cassia – Cassia obovata can help you to get shiny, healthy hair. This natural hair thickening remedy works to strengthen the hair shaft. According to Curly Nikki’s blog, cassia’s results are fleeting, only lasting 1 to 2 weeks. Unlike henna, cassia does not color the hair.
- Cassia powder
- Hot water
- Mix two ingredients together until mixture becomes like pancake batter.
- Let mixture rest 15 to 30 minutes.
- Apply to natural hair in sections. Your hair can be damp or dry, but it must be clean.
- Wrap your hair and leave this hair treatment on for at least one hour.
- Rinse or wash the paste out.
5. Aloe vera – Aloe vera gel is known to heal dry or damaged hair. It moisturizes and softens natural hair. Aloe vera contains essential fatty acids, zinc and the antioxidant Vitamins A, C and E. Aloe vera also helps to balance hair’s pH level, adding volume to natural hair.
- 2 tablespoons aloe vera gel
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 2 tablespoons warm water
- Combine all four ingredients and mix well.
- Apply the mixture to dry hair by massaging it into the scalp and hair. Completely coat your natural hair.
- Cover your hair with a plastic cap or towel.
- Leave mixture on for 30 minutes.
- Wash hair as usual.