By Terez Howard
Frizz. For some naturals, frizzy hair seems to be a matter of course. Some naturals have embraced their frizz as part of their look. For others, they are frustrated that their curls and coils lack luster and look like puffy strands.
If you’re sick of your frizzy hair, give these frizzy hair remedies a try. The following frizzy hair remedies contain natural ingredients, like vegetable glycerin, olive oil, castor oil, coconut oil and egg. These frizzy hair remedies not only will give you smooth, frizz-free hair, but also healthy hair.
Why does natural hair seem prone to frizz in the first place? There can be a number of reasons. Lack of moisture, lack of protein, harsh weather conditions, use of direct heat and coloring your hair are just a few. Restoring moisture and protein to natural hair can help to combat frizz.
Frizzy Hair Tip: Wash and condition natural hair with warm (not hot) water to open your cuticle. This helps your hair to absorb the conditioner, which is designed to smooth your cuticle. Rinse hair with cool water to lock down the cuticle and smooth any frizz.
6 Frizzy Hair Remedies
1. Egg and Olive Oil Pre-Wash
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon water
- Combine egg, water and olive oil to make a paste.
- Apply paste directly to hair, wrap hair in a towel and leave on for 30 minutes.
- Wash out paste.
2. To smooth your hair cuticle, try this frizzy hair remedy:
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup warm, filtered water
- Mix the two ingredients together.
- Pour the mixture over freshly washed/conditioned hair as a final rinse. (The strong smell will dissipate in a matter of a few minutes).
3. Dr. Oz Club Soda Hair Rinse (from pantryspa.com)
- 1 can club soda
- After you wash and condition your hair, pour the club soda over your hair as a natural rinse. The club soda lifts any leftover residue and promotes frizz-free hair.
4. Natural Vegetable Glycerin Remedy
- Dime-sized amount of natural vegetable glycerin
- Quarter-sized amount of your own mousse or gel
- Mix natural vegetable glycerin (a humectant) and your mousse or gel with your hands.
- Apply mixture to your natural hair.
5. Unrefined Shea Butter as a frizzy hair remedy
- Small amount of unrefined shea butter
- Rub unrefined shea butter in your hands until it turns to a clear color.
- Apply it to your clean hair. A little goes a long way. The shea butter will smooth and soften your frizzy hair.
- Style as usual.
6. Hot Oil Treatment
A hot oil treatment adds luster to natural hair by restoring the scalp’s lost oils. A hot oil treatment also encourages natural hair to be more pliable and soft. You can use olive oil, castor oil, coconut oil or any essential oils.
Get details on how to do a hot oil treatment with natural hair oil.