By Terez Howard
Have hair issues? Well, instead of taking a trip to the beauty store, check your kitchen first and then perhaps stop at the grocery store. That’s right. Natural hair remedies can do what conventional hair care products can do… if not better. Just think about it. What did women in the do who didn’t have Sally’s or Wal-Mart? They went to their kitchens and used what they had to care for their hair.
Natural hair remedies include hair fall remedies, hair loss treatments, hot oil treatments and organic hair care recipes. Some of the best ingredients you can put on your natural hair include aloe vera gel, lemon juice, olive oil, baking soda, coconut oil, apple cider vinegar, honey, egg as well as herbs, like rosemary, lavender and sage. This article will examine which ingredients you can mix together to remedy your hair problems.
Hair Fall Remedies and Hair Loss Treatments
Typically, a person sheds anywhere from 50 to 100 hairs per day. Hair fall, or hair loss, however, is a different story. If you are suffering from unnecessary shedding, you can try the following natural hair remedies.
Rosemary stimulates hair follicles to grow and promotes new growth. Sage contains antifungal and antibacterial properties, which rid the hair of fungal and bacterial infections. These infections might cause hair loss. Both rosemary and sage are astringents, and combining the two cleanses the pores. Mixing these two essential oils together makes for a strong hair fall remedy.
Here’s what you do:
- Boil equal parts of rosemary and sage. You can use both stems and leaves or just the oils.
- Strain the liquid.
- At this point, you can apply the mixture to your head as a hot oil treatment. Or, you can add a small amount of castile soap to make the concoction into a shampoo. (Too much castile soap will dry your scalp).
Lavender oil has been used to treat alopecia, or hair loss. Lavender makes a great ingredient for a hair loss treatment. You can use lavender oil as part of a scalp massage by putting a small amount in your hand and massaging for 5 to 10 minutes. Follow up by washing your natural hair.
Another excellent hair fall remedy is apple cider vinegar. The nutrients in apple cider vinegar can balance the pH levels in your scalp. An apple cider vinegar rinse can remove dead skin cells that might clog the pores on your scalp and slow or halt growth.
To make a natural hair growth remedy with apple cider vinegar, use:
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup warm, filtered water
Mix the two ingredients together and pour the mixture over freshly washed/conditioned hair as a final rinse. The strong smell will dissipate in a matter of minutes.
Cleansing the Scalp
There are many natural hair remedies to cleanse the scalp, but this one is my favorite. I personally found it to be very effective. To cleanse your scalp, you can use baking soda. This can be especially beneficial if you follow a no poo routine. Baking soda has the ability to lift up product build-up.
- Combine 1 tablespoon of baking soda and 1 cup of warm water until the baking soda dissolves.
- Massage this mixture into your scalp for about a minute and rinse thoroughly.
- Then, you should condition your natural hair because this remedy can be a little drying.
If you desire soft, manageable coils, then you can try one of these natural hair remedies. Ingredients like egg, honey, aloe vera gel, lemon juice and coconut oil soften natural hair.
Aloe vera contains enzymes, amino acids, proteins and other vitamins that act as a highly moisturizing agent for your hair. Aloe vera’s saponin helps your natural hair to experience deep cleansing. Combine this with lemon juice and essential oil, and you have an easy conditioning treatment.
What you need:
- 1/4 cup aloe vera gel
- 1/2 lemon to squeeze (or 1 tablespoon lemon juice)
- A few drops of essential oil
- Mix the previous ingredients together.
- Apply the conditioner to freshly cleansed hair.
- Let it sit for about five minutes.
Another moisturizing recipe:
- 1 banana
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons of honey
- 3 tablespoons of milk
- 5 tablespoons of olive oil
- Blend these ingredients together until smooth.
- Saturate your hair with the conditioner and cover it with a plastic cap.
- Let the mixture penetrate for 15 to 30 minutes.
- Rinse thoroughly.
Coconut oil works well on its own. It gets rid of dandruff and nourishes the scalp. This natural hair remedy is pretty simple. Massage coconut oil into your scalp and rinse for visibly softer, natural hair.