By Terez Howard
I have officially donned Sisterlocks for one year.
What I’ve learned:
- Watching my Sisterlocks every day does not reveal much change. Growth and maturity occur over time.
- I have a soft hair texture, and I have not fully locked yet. I thought that I would have been fully locked well before one year because my loose natural hair coiled very tightly. My consultant thought it would only take 9 months. But at the end of one year, I have very coily ends and still braid and band.
- Styling short locs makes the journey fun.
- I don’t need any moisturizer. My scalp produces plenty of sebum. My only moisturizer is a daily spritz of water.
- I have a very flaky scalp, but not a dry one. Shampoo lifts flakes from my scalp, which calm after a couple days.
- Nappturality is a wonderful, helpful community for ladies with locked hair. My questions have been answers swiftly at Nappturality.
- It might seem that 310 Sisterlocks is a low number in the world of Sisterlocks. But it takes a long time to retighten 310 locs on your own! I took the Sisterlocks retightening class and retightened my hair for the first time.
Check out my Youtube video showing my first year with Sisterlocks.